The open source stuff that JomSocial uses to convert and render video uploads (ffmpeg) also supports audio files. I thought it would be cool to modify JomSocial to allow audio files to be used in its videos section. It actually wasn't as hard to figure out as I thought it would be. Please let me know if you have a better way to do this. It would be cool if I could figure out how to customize the dull background ffmpeg puts on the "video," but at least it works. Anyways, here's what I did...
* Find this file --> /components/com_community/helpers/videos.php
* Find the section that lists the MIME types that will be accepted
* Change / add MIME types as necessary
For example, I added this to videos.php:
* You may also want to modify the language file so that audio files are listed as allowed uploads. This just tells those uploading that they're allowed.
Something changed in a later version of ffmpeg, which broke JomSocial video uploads. The wording on the ffmpeg version / copyright info changed, so some code modification was necessary to fix it.
* Go to a terminal on your server and type ffmpeg -version to see what the version / copyright info wording looks like.
* Edit this file --> /components/com_community/libraries/videos.php and look for the "hasFFmpegSupport" section.
* In my case I had to modify it to look like this:
$cmd= $this->ffmpeg . ' -version 2>&1';
$hasVersion= JString::strpos( $output, 'ffmpeg version' );
$hasCopyright= JString::strpos( $output, 'the Libav developers' );
Newer versions of JomSocial have an additional file extension check upon upload, so 1 more change is necessary to get it working.
* Find the section below in file /components/com_community/helpers/videos.php, and add the file extensions you wish to support. I added mp3 below as an example.
public function getValidExtensionType()
Playstation 3 Audio With a Com...
I gave myself a home project--upgrade / reorganize my home studio so that it is both more comfortable and more like a proper man-cave. As a man-cave can...
The Hunt for the Ultimate Blue...
I'm obsessed with bluetooth. So much so that I've been hunting for heaven's own pair of bluetooth headphones for my Tokyo subway commutes. I'm already on my 5...
JomSocial - How to Disable Cov...
I don't particularly like Facebook's cover photo feature, so I didn't particularly like it when JomSocial followed suit. Here's how to disable JomSocial's cove...
Adding iTunes to Joomla Stalke...
The Joomla extension Stalker is awesome, but oddly enough it doesn't have iTunes as one of the default available networks. If you're using the component, you c...