I purchased a couple Skyroam pocket wifi devices for my office and have been trying out the service in the field, as well as lending them out to traveling end-users. Here is a summary of both my own impressions and feedback I've heard from colleagues...
- Works globally for $10 USD per day ($8 if you buy 5 day-passes). What more can I say?
- The device is fairly easy to use, and the menus show how many day passes are left, time remaining, data used, etc.
- Net surfing speed was acceptable for business use. I tried Citrix, and it worked well as long as I upgraded to the very latest client. The older Citrix client version choked at times.
- HSPA+ or 3G only, but 3G is stable with a good signal. HSPA+ performance was even better and served my purposes well.
- Easy to recharge.
- It's an unlocked pocket wifi device and features an extra SIM card slot, so I believe you can use a local SIM if you wish. I haven't tried this yet, though.
- HSPA+ or 3G, not full 4G / LTE speeds.
- After 350MB per day, the speed will throttle-down to 2G.
- A 3G pocket wifi device probably won't deliver the best network performance for data-heavy online activities.
- The device itself is not a name-brand, so its long-term build quality is questionable.
- The extra SIM slot is full-sized, instead of the more common micro SIM.
Overall I'm happy with it considering the reasonable price and exceptional convenience, and I've since increased my office's Skyroam cache to 5 devices. They work very well for business use and light things like checking email, Facebook, Twitter, etc. You can't expect to use it for data-heavy things like video streaming, gaming, etc. If you're on vacation, then get off the Internet and enjoy your travels instead!
FCC DISCLOSURE - AMAZON PAID LINKS
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please support this site and my blogging efforts by using the links in the article. Thank you!
Arvixe Web Hosting Review
Generally speaking, Arvixe isn't too bad, especially considering the price and included features. Here's my quick review: The Good Excellent price They ...
UnRAID - Creating and Mounting...
Here's how to create and mount an encrypted unassigned device in UnRAID. 1) Make sure the unassigned devices plugin is installed in UnRAID. :-) 2) Wipe the de...
The Hunt for the Ultimate VPS ...
If IT geek-dom were a crime, I'd be on death row by now. Fortunately, it is not; so I continue my dorky IT pursuits--the latest of which is finding a VPS cloud...
The Hunt For the Ultimate Free...
I've been a hard-core Untangle fan for several years now, but I recently wanted to explore other firewall options. Being wrapped around a commercial product, U...